207 Thilmany Rd, Kaukauna, WI 54130
The Historic Eagle Mill is a former paper mill situated on the banks of the Fox River in the heart of Downtown Kaukauna, WI.
As co-developer, we assisted in the restoration and repurposing of the historic building to accommodate three levels of commercial rentable space. The project preserves the historic integrity of the mill while repurposing the space for a multi-use, sustainable destination that provides both function and character.
The project was financed by tax increment financing, conventional permanent financing, federal historic tax credits, Wisconsin historic tax credits, and private equity. The new facility addresses a need for a new library in the community, created attention for the city, and draws in people from local communities.
The new library facility has clearly been responsible for the increases in service indicators and has invigorated library usage in the city. The new facility and the corresponding increase in services provided have also given the library a higher prominence among local libraries and our library system. Even after opening, statistics still showed services to be holding steady or increasing.
- Horizon’s Role: General Contractor
- Project Type: Commercial, Renovation
- Client: Grand Kakalin, LLC Randy Staotmeuller
- Architect: SHE Architects
- Year Completed: 2015
- Size: 77,800 square feet
- Building Components: Historic rehab; exterior preservation of exterior masonry components. The building improvements include a new roof, new NPS-approved window systems, exterior masonry restoration, new interior walls and doors, insulation, efficient bathrooms, new elevators, fire protection, new electrical, plumbing, and mechanical systems.